integration of disabled people through art and sport
Antalya up to 3 months
Volunteer project: Volunteers in this project will work for the social integration of people with disabilities through art and sport. The project base is a multi purpose center in a village nearby Kas, Antalya in the south-west of Turkey. In this venue, people with disabilities who have been excluded from mainstream educational opportunities have the chance to get education in various fields such as painting, rhythm, instrumental training, dj, drama, photography, sculpture, ceramics, personal development, sign language as well as sports education such as scuba diving, swimming, sailing, canoeing, boat skipping, trekking, various outdoor trainings, yoga and pilates, etc.
Volunteers who are willing to work with and for disabled people are welcome. Please be aware that the center is open all year but disabled people mainly will be there between May 15 – October 30. Thus you should consider their absence if you are willing to come out of these dates and sometimes even within these days.
Although we do not request a nonstop working effort, volunteers are
supposed to dedicate their time and energy when needed. Your help is
requested all day long, of course with breaks. You can help us for the
overall running of the site in different fields. Volunteers who can
undertake more than just one task will be preferred. The work fields are
1) Kitchen : Food preparation / cooking / table setting / food serving / dish washing.
2) Field : General cleaning of all units / fixing buildings, boats, bikes, instruments / gardening both in main facility and in eco farm / animal care (mainly horses), farming, harvesting, landscaping.
3) Training as artist or assistant or just helper : Art workshops (painting, dance, rhythm, instrument, dj, drama, photography, sculpture, ceramics, handicraft) / courses ( PC, foreign languages, personal development, sign language) / reading & library management / sport ( swimming, scuba diving, sailing, rowing, canoeing, trekking, outdoor sports, volleyball, badminton, biking, bocce, climbing, archery) / boat skipping / various outdoor trainings / yoga and pilates.
4) Organization : Entertainment and event organizations / indoor – outdoor games, driving & transportation / short trip guiding / health care & first aid / free time activities.
5) Administration : Office work (web and social media support / design, graphic design / administrative assistance / leading volunteers.
Special requirements: Minimum age is 20. A detailed motivation letter should be sent with the application form. Volunteers who can take responsibility of more than one task will be preferred.
Language: English. Turkish classes can be arranged for volunteers upon request.
Duration of the project: Duration of the volunteer placement is up to 3 months. The project is running until December 31, 2014.
Accommodation: Although a guest house and dormitories are available, volunteers might be asked to stay in tents when necessary. Sleeping bags, mats and tents will be supplied but those volunteers who prefer to bring their own ones are welcome. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be prepared and served at the facility.
Location: The center is in Kas, Antalya. Kas is one of the most popular coastal towns in southern Turkey and our facility is in a small village, 11 km away from the Kas City Center. The center has 16.000 square meters for various purposes.
Age range: 20 and over
Participation fee: $590 CAD